Thursday, November 3, 2016


I began my project with the idea of a head, cut in half, with computer parts coming out of the back. Computers are very prevalent in my life as well as American society as a whole, so having the representation of part of my head/brain being a computer comments on the reliance on computers in our lives.
When I first started my project, I thought of using a foam head to cut in half, then carve into, or simply glue the computer pieces to the back of it. I did this and it seemed very informal and the foam face did not represent me well. From there, I then used plaster gauze to form a face on top of a flat foam head. I wasn't satisfied with this either, it did not look human nor clean, so I decided to use it as a base for a clay face. I wrapped the clay around the head, from which I created the different facial features: eyebrows, eye sockets, lips, cheeks, etc. The dried clay looked much smoother and rock-like, similar to a marble bust that you'd find a museum, opposed to the rough plaster gauze or foam. If I would have redone this project, I would have started with clay, and not try to take the easy route of a foam head, which ended up not working for me due to it being not very clean, and looking more like a rough draft, not a finished piece. 
No artist in particular inspired me, but thinking of the smoothness and simple nature of busts you'd find in a museum made me want to make something similar to that for me, but with a twist.
Many of the comments talked about my interest in technology, and how the face looked like mine, and how it obviously was supposed to resemble my thoughts. Additionally, they talked about the point of view, and how it appears very smooth and formal from the front, but as you came closer you would notice that that wasn't the case. Perspective and self examination are the things that I want to continue to explore in other projects. I want to make art not just because it looks cool, but because it says something about me as a person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment