Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Artists statement

I make art as a means of better understanding subjects I am interested in: the political, sociological, and economical questions of the world. Creating visually intriguing objects provides a different access point to consider the subject. I endeavor to create something that is visually pleasing when first seen, but under deeper inspection, it evokes emotions from the viewer and makes them think more about it.  I like to have a balance between the conceptual, visual and expressive elements of every sculpture I make.

I am most often drawn to wood and plaster to create my artwork; wax, clay, plastic, paper and other materials also come into play..  The flexibility in how each is able to be used allows me to explore the large amount of things I have interest in while keeping each of the sculptures based in the materials I enjoy manipulating. While creating my pieces, much of the materials I use and how I express reflect my feeling about something. The normally smooth and white plaster or the rough and dirty wood can also be transformed to the opposites. I like use the materials as how they are originally, as well as change them completely and change the perspective of how they might be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment